Wed Aug, 2012 by Kai Blum
For SEO professionals, a website redesign is often a nightmare. After working hard for months to optimize a site and get it ranked in the top search results, a redesign can undo most of the on-page optimization. My advice to anyone considering a redesign: Stay away from a complete redesign, if your web site is top-ranked on Google for your most important keywords phrases — unless you have an unbeatable number of quality inbound links.
Any of the following redesign mistakes can severely impact your Google rank:
- Change page URLs and other file names (images)
- Use different page titles and descriptions
- Replace HTML-based headlines and texts with graphics or Flash
- Make page text changes (content, formatting)
- Change your internal link structure
- Make changes to link anchor texts
- Make changes to alt tags of navigational elements and images
Never attempt a redesign without involving the SEO firm that optimized your site.